Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Smart Works Reading currently open for normal service?
From 18th March, we will temporarily not be continuing the face-to-face delivery of our Smart Works dressing and coaching service. However, we are still able to offer a virtual service to any women referred to us. Each woman will receive one to one interview preparation over the phone with one of our expert coaching volunteers.
- How does interview coaching over the phone work?
If you have an interview lined up, please give us a call on 0118 959 4245. We will take a few details and arrange for an interview coach to give you a call at a time which suits you. The session will last around an hour and they will give you expert tips and advice for your upcoming interview.
- When will Smart Works Reading be open again for normal service?
It is difficult to say when we will re-open again, however we will be monitoring the situation closely and update all our communication outlets with any changes.
- I have an interview coming up, will this now be cancelled?
This depends on the employer. Some may be opting to do video/phone interviews instead, whilst others may postpone your interview until their normal work service has resumed.
- Are you still able to accept clothing donations?
For the time-being, we cannot accept donations of clothes. Please keep checking our website and email [email protected] once we resume normal service for more information.
- Where can I found out more information about the Covid-19 virus and how it might impact me?
NHS Website for information on symptoms and what to do if you suspect you have the virus:
Government Website for an overview and latest updates:
Citizens Advice website for general information and advice on a variety of topics such as benefits:
- How do I find Smart Works Reading?
Click hereto view our handy guide on how to find us.
- How much does the service cost?
All services are completely free of charge.
- Is there parking available onsite?
Unfortunately not, however a new public car park has opened at Saxon Court. Entrance on Church Street, Reading RG1 2SB. The tariff is £1 per hour.
- Can I bring my child or friend with me to my appointment?
Ideally we want you to come to Smart Works Reading alone, this is your time and we want to focus solely on you. We do recognise that childcare arrangements can be tricky so we are happy for you to bring children.
- Do I have to bring the clothes back?
No the outfit is yours to keep for free.
- What happens if I get the job?
If you are successful in getting the job once you have seen us, you can book your Second Dressing appointment, where we will give you a small capsule wardrobe to help you with work wear up until your first payday.
We also offer a short session with our interview coach to go through “how to behave at work in your first 3 months”
- What happens if I do not get the job?
If you are unsuccessful in getting the job once you have seen us, you can book your follow up Interview coaching session, where the interview coach will spend an hour with you talking through interview feedback, coaching.
- Do you have a service for men?
We only see those who identify as women. There is a male equivalent in Bracknell called Suit2Go, further information about the services they provide can be found here.